6 lb bone-in beef short ribs
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 (750-ml) bottle red wine
3 cups beef broth
10 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
5 cloves garlic
2 (12-oz) pkg slider buns
- Lightly season ribs with salt and pepper.
- Cook ribs, in batches, in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until browned on all sides. Remove from pot. Discard all but 3 Tbsp drippings in pot. Cook onion in hot drippings until tender. Sprinkle flour over onions, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, brown sugar, and chili powder; cook 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in wine, broth, thyme, bay leaves, and garlic. Return ribs to pot; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cover pot, and transfer to oven. Bake 2 to 2½ hours or until ribs are very tender.
- Let stand until cool enough to handle. Shred meat from ribs, discarding fat and bone.
- Toss meat with enough cooking liquid to moisten.
- Serve meat on buns with Brussels Sprouts Slaw.
Brussels Sprouts Slaw Recipe Ingredients
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 5 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ Tbsp sugar
- 1½ lb Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup finely shredded carrot
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp; remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp drippings in skillet.
- Add shallot to hot drippings and cook 1 minute. Stir in vinegar, oil, and sugar; stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add Brussels sprouts; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl; add cabbage and carrots; toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let stand 20 minutes before serving.