Vegan/ Vegetarian Bolognese Spaghetti
You won’t miss the meat in our Vegan/Vegetarian Bolognese Spaghetti. Chopped mushrooms add texture and flavor to a classic dinner recipe. A few substitutions (listed in the ingredients) take this from a vegetarian dish to a vegan one. Top with nutritional yeast or Parmesan and enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon O Organics® extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup diced carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 8 oz sliced Signature Farms® mushrooms ((about 4 cups), chopped by hand or with a food processor)
- 2 cups Signature SELECT™ basil garlic pasta sauce or O Organics® tomato basil pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup whole milk or unflavored soy or coconut milk creamer
- black pepper and/or crushed red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- About 2 ¼ cups O Organics® cooked whole wheat spaghetti noodles
- Primo Taglio® shredded Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (optional)
- Finely-chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Begin heating a medium non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onion, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden (about 5 minutes). Add the chopped mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked (about 8 minutes).
Stir in the pasta sauce and let it boil down for about 3 minutes. Slowly stir in the creamer or milk of choice and gently simmer the mixture, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes. Add black pepper and/or crushed red pepper flakes to taste if desired.
Meanwhile, in another saucepan, following directions on package, bring water to a boil and add whole wheat spaghetti noodles. Boil until pasta is cooked to your desired doneness and drain well.
Serve about a cup of sauce on top of about 3/4 cup of cooked noodles. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast and fresh parsley if desired.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.