For a classic French dish that looks as elegant as it sounds, look no further than steak au poivre. Cracked black peppercorns season a white wine, Dijon, and cream sauce that’s spooned over seared steaks. Roasted fingerling potatoes and sautéed kale complete the plate. Vinaforé™ Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is a perfect pairing to this dish!
- 1 1/4 pounds fingerling potatoes
- 12 ounces dinosaur kale
- 2 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 steaks
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- 1/4 ounce Dijon mustard
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Rinse all produce. Halve potatoes lengthwise. Pat kale dry with paper towel, stack leaves, and thinly slice, discarding long stems. Peel shallots and thinly slice into rings. Mince garlic.
2. On a baking sheet, toss potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil, .5 teaspoon salt, and ground black pepper as desired. Arrange cut-side down in a single layer and roast until slightly tender, about 14 minutes (move on to Step 3—but don't forget to come back). Then, add half of shallots to sheet and continue roasting until potatoes are golden and crispy and shallots are tender, 4-6 minutes more.
3. While potatoes roast, pat steaks dry with paper towel and season all over with 1 teaspoon salt and ground black pepper as desired. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add steaks and sear, working in batches and adding oil as needed, until browned and medium rare, 4-6 minutes per side. Transfer steaks to a plate and set aside to rest, reserving pan, off heat, for Step 5.
4. While steaks sear, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a separate large pan over medium heat. When oil is shimmering, add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add kale and sauté, working in batches as needed, until dark green and just wilted, 3-4 minutes more. Remove pan from heat and season with .25 teaspoon salt and ground black pepper as desired.
5. While kale cooks, place pan from steaks over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon olive oil. When oil is shimmering, add cracked black peppercorns and remaining shallots. Cook, stirring, until shallot begins to soften, 2-3 minutes. Add wine and cook, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan, until liquid is slightly reduced, 2-3 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and mustard to warm through, 1 minute more.
6. Remove pan with sauce from heat; taste and add salt as desired. Cut rested steaks against the grain into .25-inch slices. Divide crispy fingerling potatoes and kale among serving plates. Serve with sliced steak and top with sauce au poivre. Dig in and enjoy alongside Vinaforé™ Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.