Italian Braised Chicken with Fennel and Cannellini
This saucy chicken dish takes just a few minutes to put in the slow cooker. And then you’ll come home to a hearty, warming dinner.
5 hour, 30 mins
Total cook time
- 2 - 2½ pounds chicken drumsticks and/or thighs, skin removed,
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided,
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper,
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained,
- 1 bulb fennel, cored and cut into thin wedges,
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces,
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges,
- 3 cloves garlic, minced,
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary,
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano,
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper,
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained,
- ½ cup dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth,
- ¼ cup tomato paste,
- ¼ cup shaved Parmesan cheese,
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh Italian parsley,
Sprinkle chicken pieces with 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Place chicken in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Top with beans, fennel, bell pepper, onion, garlic, rosemary, oregano and crushed red pepper. In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, white wine, tomato paste and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; pour over mixture in cooker.
Cover and cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours or on High for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.